Monday, January 28, 2013

It's Just Hair!

Who the heck is that?! Oh wait...it's ME!

I keep getting startled every time I catch my reflection tonight. After being a red head for almost 2 years I decided to go back to being a brunette this afternoon. Not an easy task. Thank goodness I have an amazing hair stylist! (Kelly at Mia Capelli in Keene, NH)

Last week I had one of those days where I said "That's it. I've had it. I need a change." When I have one of those days, I want it taken care of quickly. So I did what we all do when we are looking for ideas....I went on Pinterest. It's funny, after a little searching I noticed that Cheryl Cole (a singer) and I have had almost all the same hair colors and cuts. So I started searching out her images for ideas. I found some super cute brunette shades. I decided I was doing it. Why not, right? It's just hair!

So for 2 years I've been "that red head". I had a gorgeous, show stopping color that was a secret formula my scientist, I mean hair stylist created in her lab, I mean salon. It's not that I didn't love being a red head. I actually REALLY loved it! Which is funny because for years I would never have even considered it an option. I thought I couldn't pull it off. Turns out I was wrong. But, it's a lot of upkeep. It meant hair appointments every 6 weeks and the original color faded after about 3 weeks, so half way through it was totally different. The molecular structure of red is different than any other color. To get really scientific....the color just up and falls out quickly. Plus, it's a hair color that clashes with a lot of clothing options and accessories.

Deciding to make this change was a big deal. Hard to get it back if I change my mind down the road without causing damage.

Making drastic changes to your hair color is something I would leave to a professional. If you are considering it, I have a few suggestions. Check out  In Style's website. The other thing you can do is look at pictures of you as a very young child. That's a great way to choose a natural choice. How many of you dirty blondes or mousey browns had gorgeous blonde hair as a tot? See my point?

Basically, you take a picture of yourself with your hair pulled away from your face. Then you upload it and you can try different colors and cuts. It's a great way to try it without the commitment. 

If you are doing a color that is 2 shades lighter or darker than your own or even highlights, I really do suggest a professional. You may think doing it yourself will save you money. It won't if you don't get it right and it might actually cost more if you have to get it fixed. Never mind the fact that you are damaging your hair.

We all get stuck in ruts, especially with our hair and makeup. Switch it up! Be brave! Step out of your comfort zone. You may find a whole new you. And if you're scared to make the commitment in real life, give it a try online.

xo
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment